Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Expeditious Naturalization Based On The U.S. Citizenship Of A Grandparent

If a U.S. citizen parent who does not meet the requirements to transmit U.S. citizenship has a U.S. citizen parent (the child’s grandparent) who has been physically present in the United States for at least 5 years (two of which were after the grandparent’s 14th birthday), the child’s parent can file a request for expeditious naturalization of the child under Sec. 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.  A grandparent being used to meet the requirement can be living or deceased at the time of the application, but if deceased the grandparent must have been a citizen prior to the child’s birth and at the time of the grandparent’s death.

The expeditious naturalization process falls under the authority of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).  No part of such cases is processed or adjudicated at the U.S. Embassy. 

The Application for a Certificate of Citizenship (along with a supplement for those using a grandparent to fulfill the physical presence requirement) must be filed at a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Field Office with jurisdiction over the child’s Once approved, the child will travel to the on a tourist visa for a naturalization ceremony. After naturalization, the child may apply for a passport.   The date of naturalization is considered the date of acquisition of citizenship.  The USCIS forms, along with instructions, are available at

The process must be completed prior to the child’s 18th birthday.