Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

P Visa (Athletes, Artists, and Entertainers)

What is a P visa?

A P visa is for certain athletes, artists and entertainers who wish to live and work temporarily in the United States.  To begin the application process, the future employer must file a Form I-129 (Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker) in the United States with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of Homeland Security.  If approved, the USCIS will mail the petitioner a Form I-797 (Notice of Action).  The beneficiary may then apply for a P visa at the United States Embassy in Caracas.

P-1 Visa (Internationally Recognized Athletes/Entertainers)

An internationally recognized athlete traveling to the United States to compete and his or her essential support personnel require P-1 visas.  An internationally recognized entertainer traveling to the United States to perform requires a P-1 visa.

P-3 Visa (Culturally Unique Programs)

An artist or entertainer who is traveling to the United States to perform, teach, or coach under a culturally unique program requires a P-3 visa.

P-4 Visa (Spouse and Children of a P Visa Holder)

Spouses and children under the age of 21 can receive P-4 visas to travel with or follow-to-join the principal alien in the United States.

For a more complete explanation of these and other permissible P activities, please see 9 FAM 41.56.

How do I apply for a P visa?

Once you have received your approved Form I-797, follow the steps belowto apply for a P visa at the Embassy:

Step 1: Fill out the application form, otherwise known as the DS-160.  The questions are in English, but you can access a Spanish translation by selecting “Spanish” in the ToolTip dropdown menu in the upper right  corner of the page.  Then, place your cursor over a phrase to see an instant translation.  Once you have finished, please remember to print your confirmation page!  Our help page has answers to frequently asked questions about filling out the DS-160.

Step 2: Please refer to the Visa Information Service webpage, select Non-Immigrant Visa and follow the on-screen instructions.

Also, check our website for information about security procedures and getting to the Embassy.

What documents are required in order to apply for a P visa?

Every P visa applicant must provide the following documents:

  • Confirmation page of the DS-160. 
  • A valid passport.  If the passport is damaged, you must obtain a new passport before applying for a visa. 
  • A color photograph.  The photograph must be 5 cm x 5 cm (2 inches x 2 inches), full frontal view of shoulders and face, against a white background.  If you have been unsuccessful in uploading one to the DS-160, you may wish to have photos taken at the kiosk on the Embassy grounds.  
  • The original, photocopy or facsimile copy of the Notice of Action Form I-797A, B or C, if the beneficiary of a petition.

What other documents may be required for P visa applicants?

Applicants for a P visa should be prepared to provide the following additional documents at the visa interview:

  • Evidence of the work that qualifies you for the visa (for example, newspaper articles, medals or badges from competitions or events, photos from events, books or articles published).
  • Evidence of your current employment, such as pay stubs, an employment letter, or work contract, and evidence of your educational background, such as a copy of your diploma.
  • Prior visas and previous passports.

Have Questions?